As a graduate of the molecular biosciences, there are many different postgraduate study options available to you, in scientific, science-related and non-scientific fields. Many jobs require graduates to complete specialized postgraduate courses and some employers may offer to fund their employee’s postgraduate studies for relevant courses and qualifications. 

Here are a few of the hundreds of different postgraduate study options available…

Science writing and journalism

Science communicators play an important role in engaging the public with science, bringing the work of scientists from the lab to the public spotlight. If you’ve got a gift with words, there are several courses on offer for entering the competitive field of scientific writing and journalism. 

Click here for more information

Graduate entry to law

A degree is generally required to become a barrister, solicitor or patent attorney, but many law professionals do not have degrees in law-related subjects. A career in law can allow you to apply the analytical, research and logic skills you developed during your biosciences degree. As a bioscience graduate, you can take a Graduate Diploma in Law or a Common Professional Examination before sitting the exams required to become a practicing barrister or solicitor.

Click here for more information


Masters in Business Administration, more commonly known as an MBA, is a specialized postgraduate Master’s course for graduates who want to make a career in management, or wish to secure management positions in a company. 

Teacher training programmes

A postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) course mainly focuses on developing your teaching skills, and not on the subject you intend to teach. For this reason, you are expected to have a good understanding of your chosen subject(s) – usually to degree level – before you start training.

PGCE courses are available at universities and colleges throughout the UK. Alternatively, you could complete a programme of school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT), through Teach First or the School Direct Training ProgrammeIf you have undertaken a PhD and want to move into teaching there is also the Researchers in Schools scheme as a route of entry.

Links to useful websites